Monday, June 11, 2007

Rhubarb Wine In Progress

Currently I am only making one wine, and it is not a grape-based wine. After making a combined 24 gallons of Pinot Noir, Shiraz, Riesling, and White Merlot for a recent party, I cleared out half of my cellar and began to build again. This batch is a good old-fashioned rhubarb wine.

I was only recently introduced to this vegetable often mistaken for a fruit, much in the same way that a tomato is mistaken for quite the opposite. My only experience with it has been in a jam or pie, both of which I have enjoyed.

Growing wild in the mountains of the Western and Northwestern provinces of China and into Tibet, the plant was originally cultivated for its medicinal qualities, but as it turns out it tastes great in so many sweet treats.

Apparently people say some of the best rhubarb in the world grows in Michigan, Ontario, Canada, and a few other northern US states. I had grown up amidst the best rhubarb in the world and it went completely unnoticed to me for all those years.

My parents had a surplus from their one plant and gave me a whopping 13 pounds of rhubarb. I followed this recipe.

I would like to blend this finished product with another white wine. Any ideas?


No comments: