Friday, November 23, 2007

Back In the Swing of Things

After a cross-country relocation, I am settling back into cooking like mad. I have found rhythm in making baby food and strive daily to make delicious and healthy food for my family. My son has been off the Gerber food for a couple of weeks now, and he seems to be loving the additional flavors that I add into his mashed creations. One of my favorite things to eat is ramen. From the time I studied in Japan, nearly 10 years ago now, I have striven to
find the elusive excellence of traditional Japanese ramen. I have tried ramen in restaurants, I have tried to make it myself. I still don't make it quite right, and barely want to even call it ramen because to me that signifies its excellence, whereas to many it signifies the noodle of broke pocketbooks.

Still not altogether successful, but I do make a nice bowl of Asian-style noodle soup.


Above is the final result. The two bigger bowls on the outside are mine and my husband's. We split the gyoza on the middle plate and our son ate the applesauce in the front left and the egg yolk, steamed carrots and gyoza in the front center bowl.




No comments: